30 July 2014

Off on Another Pedie Adventure

25th July 2014
1:05pm
Scrabster Terminal, Scotland, UK

If I thought it was surreal when my train entered Edinburgh, I don’t know what the word is for this moment. I am moments from boarding the ferry to Stromness, Orkney. The sky is sunny and the water is calmer than I’ve ever seen it on a journey up to the islands.
After handing the guy at the gate my ticket, I board the ferry. If you have never been to Orkney before, I cannot stress enough how nice NorthLink ferries is. They’re certainly not the only option. However, they are also the fanciest option. On my first trip, I was imagining a rickety rusty old boat. They have those, but they’re not NorthLink. NorthLink feels like you’re on a cruise. I’ve never actually been on a cruise, but this is what I imagine one to be like anyway.
I guess this picture doesn't really do it justice, but trust me it's really nice in here.


The nice thing about this particular route is that you get a boat side view of the Old Man of Hoy, but more on him later. Now the inside is nice, but I much prefer the deck. I’d forgotten what it feels like to be standing on deck with wind rushing through my hair, the boat rocking gently beneath me, and the spray of salt water on my skin. I’ve missed the ocean dearly.
The Old Man of Hoy as seen from the deck.


I meet a few Americans who are here to visit for a day. They’re not quite certain what to see, but I pull out my OS Explorer maps and give them some good tips. I have to say, it feels really good to “know what I’m doing” and to know enough to give advice. There was a part of me which thought, I would regret not going somewhere new. However, I have to say it is really nice to be helpful.
Low mist hanging over the water


So naturally, the second I get off the boat I make a B-line for the information centre to ask for directions. I’d made an appointment with the Cycle Hire shop in Stromness and I didn’t want to be late by wandering around the city aimlessly. As it would turn out, I probably could have found it since it was right off the main road.
I ride my new bike down the street and back to the information centre. Here I ask about a ferry to North Hoy. I’m in luck. There is one leaving in just a few minutes. I don’t really know where I’m going so I end up asking for directions a few times, and I think I manage to annoy the captain when I get on and don’t seem to put the bike in the right place. All the same, I’m soon off for North Hoy.

---
25th July 2014
4:37pm
Island of Hoy, Scotland, UK

You know, it’s kind of awkward to bike like this. I have my shoulder bag bungeed to the back mount of the bike. I’m wearing my backpack, and I’ve clipped my grocery bag to the back of the back pack. It’s heavy. I haven’t ridden a bike in years, and of course I had to be going uphill on the hilliest island in the whole archipelago. Several colourful words, primarily directed at myself, are running through my head right now. Ohh yeah, and I have to meet the woman who would let me into the hostel at 5:00, and did I mention the hostel is almost 6 miles away?
Rachel, the warden of the hostel, is luckily a very thoughtful person. She is waiting for me at the intersection of a road not too far from the ferry terminal. This gives me the chance to relax a bit. I don’t rush as much to the Hostel, but still I’m in a bit of a hurry. I’m extraordinarily eager to rid myself of these bags. I cannot tell you how much it sucks to carry all this stuff. This is especially true when riding a bike which is too tall and has a seat which clearly doubles as a torture device.
Here is a photo of all my gear, from one of the times I stopped to take a break.


Despite my moaning, I cannot accentuate enough how beautiful it is here. This is not what I bargained for. This is Orkney. I was expecting blustering winds and relentless rain. Instead I’m riding through the sunny glens of Hoy. It’s summer so the heather is green like I’ve never seen it before. There are wispy low clouds clinging to the top of the bluffs. They give the island a mystical feel despite the gorgeous sunny day. I’m not an islander, but in this moment I think – I could be.

Some General Scenery from Hoy

No comments:

Post a Comment