24 July 2014

Father Son Road Trip Part Two: Down the Mississippi

The night before we found a Super 8 motel in Red Wing, MN. The room had avocado coloured walls large pictures of what looked like the north woods of Canada hanging above the beds. The room was cheap enough and it came with breakfast so that's a plus.
Once we were checked out, we made our way into the town so that Dad could show me the St. James Hotel.
We crossed the street and went into the hotel, which was quite a big deal back in the early days of the town. Although it has been renovated and modernized they still have retained or restored much of the classic Victorian charm.
Here's dad across from the St. James Hotel.

Here is the classic lobby of the hotel with it's front desk.

This is a drawing room complete with a collection of beautifully old books.


When we were done we wandered around town for a bit before circling back and visiting the UFFDA Shop.
A long time ago, my whole family had made a similar road trip and so right away I recognized the UFFDA Shop where we had bought some Ole and Lena books. If you don't know who Ole and Lena are then you're probably need to take in some Scandinavian culture.
This link goes to a joke that is well worth anyone’s time:
Also in the shop we found these glasses.
The fun part is that your glass get's sloshed before you do!

While still in Red Wing we decided to go down by the river, strolling through a park and looking out at the water. On our way back to the car we stopped at the old train station which hosted an art gallery painted by local artists. Some of the colours and paintings used were simply stunning, and that's coming from someone who could probably live without visiting an art gallery.

We eventually left Red Wing (although we had a fair amount of difficulty in actually achieving this goal), but once we did we were treated with the picturesque views of the bluffs that boarder the Mississippi on both sides.
By the time we made it to the next town, Lake City, it was time for lunch. We found a bar advertising "The best burgers this side of the Mississippi" considering the bar was situated a mere 50 ft from the bank of the river, we thought they were a bit cheeky (although admittedly I'm the only one who phrased it like that).

The bar actually was a bank once upon a time, and they really did serve a good burger. 

After Lunch we went to some thrift shops, because I like thrift shops and more than that I love old books. It took two shops and several miscellaneous antiques later, but eventually I found a book that tripped my fancy.

With Answers!

From here we continued on past Lake Pepin and crossed the river to make it to the "Damn Saloon" formerly known as Freddy's Float.

For the record, I did not encounter Danger, Romance, or Fish. However, I was already on an Adventure so  1 out of 4 isn't terrible.

I seem to recall this place as well on the aforementioned previous road trip. However, I appreciate the place quite a bit more this time. We had a drink out by the water and watched the fish swim up to the surface. I was getting fairly tired by this point, and the alcohol wouldn't help, but we trudged on. I knew I would catch another wind eventually.

Our next stop was Winona... or rather Garvin Heights. Its a bluff that overlooks the city on the Minnesota side. There are roads to the top with a small park that are designed to maximise one's ability to get up to the edge and look out without falling the nearly six hundred feet to the city below.
I ran back to the car to get my omnoculars from my jacket. This would mark the only time I had ever actually used them to any real effect.


It was late afternoon now, but we still had a fair bit of travel to do. Our original goal involved at least LaCrosse so that was our next stop. According to my phone, LaCrosse has the world's largest Six Pack. For the record, it does not surprise me in any way that this is in Wisconsin.
The sign explains that this six pack has enough beer to give one person a regular sized six pack a day for 3,351 years. I am doubtful as to the state of this recipient's liver.

LaCross has a great many more things to offer than my Dad and I saw. It was late in the day, and so most of the shops were closed. Even still we wandered around the place for a while before we stopped at a place called The Bodega Brew Pub which boasts over 400 different kinds of beer. Is anyone else noticing a theme here. Anyway, I had a Strongbow on tap which pleased me to no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment