02 August 2014

The Long Journey

26th July 2014
8:35am
The Island of Hoy, Scotland, UK

My alarm wakes me, and it’s too early. My whole body is exhausted and sore from the several hours of hiking I did the night before, and probably the other traveling I did yesterday. A normal person would allow themselves a day off, but no not me. Perhaps I’m insane, certifiably so. However, this doesn’t change the fact that I’ve got to make it to my hostel in Kirkwall later today.
I eat breakfast, thankfully finishing the remainder of my heavier grocery items. Everything I have can fit in just my backpack and shoulder bag. From now on, this is the only way I want to travel by bike.
It’s a long trek to the ferry terminal, but I’m confident I can make the 10:00 ferry. I don’t really have a choice in the matter; the only other ferry off the island isn’t until 5:00. The problems with Saturdays…
It’s a hard ride, but I’m able to glide down most of the hills. I get lost only the once, and then I’m at the pier with plenty of time to spare. The ride to Stromness is equally smooth, but it was bound to be. The sea is calm, yet everything is covered in a fog so thick you could cut it with a knife.
Okay so in this episode of Scooby Doo there is a really thick fog. Scooby literally cuts out a doughnut with a knife and then takes a bite. I really wanted to find an animated image of this but I wasn't able. Either way, the fog was this kind of thick.

When I arrive, I go to the information desk and ask if there are any good Cafés in town. The woman recommends Julia’s, and it’s just across the street, so I go there. By this point, I reckon I’ve earned a proper meal, or at least I will have earned a proper meal by the time I make it to Kirkwall.
I take my time with breakfast. I don’t really have to do anything today aside from make it to the hostel. The food is alright, but I’ve certainly had better. The interesting thing is how they did their tea. They gave two tea pots: one with hot water, one with very concentrated tea, no sugar, but a bit of milk, and two packages of butter. Now recently I had finished a book (the love story with thepeople who have horses which I mentioned in an earlier blog) and anyway there is a character who drank his tea with butter. I’d never heard of it before then, and now to see it offered before me, well let’s just say I was tempted. Maybe I’d give it a go eventually.
After brunch, I am back on the bike, which I have affectionately begun to call Ethel (for no reason in particular). Kirkwall is 19 miles away from Stromness. And I believe I have mentioned before the torture device that happens to double as my bike seat. I imagine getting used to riding a new bike would have some parallels with getting used to a horse you haven’t ridden before. Now I know nothing about horses, but I know a lot about riding bikes. And as I pedal down the road, I can’t help but to mentally remark at how I don’t have the feel of this thing yet. I don’t quite know how strong the breaks are, or how fast you can pump the pedals before they stall. I don’t know how it handles bumps or climbing a hill... Maybe I’m crazy but I think a bike should be an extension of you, and I certainly cannot claim that kind of relationship with Ethel.
So naturally, the trip goes great. I experience weather almost as beautiful as yesterday, make good time, don’t get hit by any cars, have enough water to last me the trip, get some nice road side views of the standing stones, listen to a good book, and by the end of the trip I think I’m getting a bruise in an area I’d rather not talk about on the internet.
It’s a bit past three when I find my way to the hostel. Unfortunately they’re closed. Apparently they’re only open in the mornings for check out, and between 5:00 & 10:00 for check in. So I have to occupy myself for a few hours.
My instinct is always “go to the library” So I do and get a library card at The Orkney Library and Archive. It’s actually quite nice for a library in a town only twice the size of Montello, WI. Although it’s hard to stay awake as I sit on the couch and look at potential books.

The library closes at 5:00 on Saturdays, which works out perfectly for me. I walk my bike back to the hostel. Since I arrived in town, I’ve taken to using Ethel as a pack mule which is amazingly effective. I’m checked in rather quickly, and it only takes me a few moments to find my room. However, once I do, I promptly pass out until the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment